Letter-Perfect Tips to Safeguard Your Mail
Your mailbox and outgoing mail can be open invitations to identity thieves. So it makes sense to take a few precautions to protect the contents.
- Lock it. Use either a secure locking mailbox or a post office box.
- Send it properly. Never place outbound mail (at home or work) in an open, unlocked mailbox.
- Don’t leave it. Never leave mail in your car.
- Check for any missing mail. Investigate immediately if expected statements or bills from your financial institutions do not arrive on time.
- Be especially vigilant during January and April when tax documents are sent out—they're favourite targets for identity thieves.
- Have mail held when you’re gone. During extended absences, have mail held at the post office.
- Don’t discard without shredding. Never simply discard “pre-approved” credit offers, Explanation of Benefits documents from insurance companies, or any other confidential information you receive in the mail; always cross-shred everything first.